Recognizing the signs of stress in children and teens and when to seek help
Greetings, my name is Jessica Gonzalez. I am a mental health therapist at Consejo Counseling and Referral Services. I received a Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Colorado Christian University. Before joining Consejo, I gained experience working as a Psychiatric Child Care Counselor at the Child Study and Treatment Center. My theoretical orientation approach stems from Person-Centered and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
This presentation describes the following:
- A description of what mental health is.
- Why mental health is important.
- Factors that can impact mental health.
- Signs of needing mental health treatment.
- Cultural barriers that impact the Latino/Spanish speaking comminutes from receiving mental health treatment.
- Recognizing signs of distress in children and adolescents.
- A description of coping methods that can assist with emotional regulation and distress tolerance.