Girl Talk Youth Forum
Youth Engagement Services Tacoma (YES-Tacoma) is happy to announce we will be starting “Girl Talk Youth Forum” (GTYF). GTYF is a free 4 week virtual 60- minute therapy group for Tacoma Public Schools middle and high school teen girls, providing a safe space to find and give support with other teens while discussing relevant topics that matter to you.
Participants will be eligible to win a pair of Apple AirPods.
Stay tuned for more summer supports from the YES Team.
Sessions will start on Monday, July 27th so we encourage early registration.
GTYF Sessions Overview:
Session 1: Introduction and creating group expectations
- Facilitator and group members will engage in introduction process utilizing ice breaker activity
- Facilitator will engage the youth in activity to establish group rules, expectations and norms
Session 2: What do mental health symptoms look like in teens?
- Psychoeducation related to common mental health symptoms among adolescents
- Facilitator will engage youth in guided therapeutic group conversation, fostering a safe space for students to express and share their experiences with behavioral health symptoms
Session 3: What are coping skills?
- Youth will have the opportunity to begin to identify their own coping skills and begin to be able to talk about the effects and the coping skills
- Facilitator will provide psychoeducation around the benefits of establishing healthy coping strategies (grounding techniques, deep breathing exercises, cognitive behavioral health therapy coping strategies)
- Facilitator will provide psychoeducation around the difference between maladaptive coping techniques and healthy coping strategies
Session 4: Interpersonal Relationships
- Group session will cover the topics of social media, peer relationships, bullying and the impacts they have on adolescent behavioral health
- Youth will have the opportunity to process the impacts that COVID-19 has had on peer relationships and social skills
For questions and more information contact YES Clinician, Kianna Carter